Friday, December 9, 2011

In Honor of Winter

It snowed where I live last week, so in honor of winter, I'm posting some of these shots I took at my mother's home last year (2010) during the Christmas holidays.


An Evergreen's Blanket
Left Brain:  Fog on a cold winter morning left a layer of frost on everything.  It's kind of cheating because it isn't really a layer of snow covering everything, but the frost left by the actually makes for more interesting photos, because the frost covers everything, bottom and top.  This is a macro shot of a small pine tree in the back yard.  What's impossible to get right with a macro shot is the depth of field.  When you focus in close, you don't have much range where the subject is in focus.  I find that I shoot off several shots I typically get something that works (I'm shooting hand-held, because I don't have the patience to get out the tripod.  Unfortunately, that lack of patience usually yields several unusable photos...)

Right Brain:   I remember one year when I was little seeing a flocked Christmas tree.  That was quite an oddity for me because I never understood how you could get the snow to stay on and not melt in the house.  And of course I wasn't allowed to touch the tree... 

Frost On Edge

Left Brain:  Shouldn't these plants be dead by now?  Didn't they get the memo that it's the end of DECEMBER in UTAH??

 
Rising to the Occasion


Frozen Bolt

Right Brain:  Hey Left Brain!  I Triple-Dog-Dare you to put your tongue on that bar!


At Sunrise After the Winds

Left Brain:  So right at the end of the photo shoot, the light starts to taken on the yellows of a sunrise.  It definitely wasn't sunrise, but it looked that way.  I loved this composition because it looks like the frost was blown on from the right.  Note that this isn't a trick o the camera.  Horizontal is about what you see in the photo.  It didn't last long, so I couldn't hurry and just re-shoot everything, but at least I got this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment